Give Back and Get Exercise
Here at home on the east coast, spring not only heralds the arrival of flowers and good weather, it also kicks off the season of charity walks, when not-for-profit organizations, both large and small, host community walks or runs to raise funds for their specific causes.
Here are some that I have participated in or supported over the years.
- March for Babies: the March of Dimes annual walk to address prematurity.
- Walk MS: focuses on finding a cure for multiple sclerosis.
- Heart Walk: brings attention to heart disease.
- Autism Speaks Walk: supports those in the autism community.
- Step Out Walk for Diabetes: helping those affected by diabetes.
- Komen Race for the Cure: works to find a cure for breast cancer and support survivors.
I have also done smaller, local walks at churches and schools to address issues such as hunger and bullying. So my point is that supporting these walks is a great way to give back and encourage health and wellness, whether it’s you doing the walking or a good friend.
So don’t ignore that email asking for a donation when it shows up in your email box. Bonus points if you lace up your own sneakers!